October 25, 2014, 07:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TACTICA! A Roman drill manual constructed from original sources and the best information available has been released.

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Login Register  

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

You can read the Forums without registering, but to post and read the Articles and Publications,
    you must register with our website. We do this to cut down on spammers and trolls. Please fill out your profile information so we know you are real person and not a machine or a spammer.
    Pages: [1]   Go Down
      Print  
    Author Topic: Breadmaking from Scratch  (Read 5491 times)
    M. Demetrius
    Global Moderator

« on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »

I've started a breadmaking project.  From scratch.  I found a cobbler's tool that will work to make a cultivator/pick.  

Obviously it will take some smith work to get where I need to be, but there's plenty of metal there, and I should be able to make a pointed hoe/pick from it.  The eye is already pierced (hooray!) and tapered in the right direction (outer end larger) so a typical pick handle should work for it.

Other tools needed will include a drift of the right size and shape to take the rectangular eye and make it oval, a sickle for harvesting the grain, a flail/thresher tool to beat the husks off, a winnowing basket, an earth oven, a sourdough starter, a rising bowl, a brick/stone/earth oven, and finally, a knife to slice the bread.  More info as it develops.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:14:49 PM by M. Demetrius » Logged

Administrator
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    David Wills
    Red
    Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »

Interesting project! Is the "type" of wheat still available as a "heritage" seed? Also, I am sure that the amount requiring cultivation is known today for our types of wheat, any idea how much you will have to plant to make an adequate amount of bread? (Ie are you going to make a loaf, and call it done, or are you intending to produce this in quantity?

Red
    M. Demetrius
    Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

No, it won't be heritage wheat.  Some exists, having been found in jars in Masada, which is said to be viable.  This will be hard winter wheat kernels like you can buy in a natural foods store.  I know that kind will sprout, as my late wife and I oft times grew wheat sprouts for juice.  Nice and green and sprouty.  Gives you cow burps.  It's said to be healthy.  But--

I plan to grow a patch about 10' x 15', and might not grind all of that up.  Instead, I might just keep some on the stalk, some partly threshed and some ready to grind, just for a sample for table top.  I'll probably grind a couple of pounds of regular wheat...once I get a quern made, of course. 

Heckuva complex project.  Whose idea was this, anyway?

Administrator
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    David Wills
    JKALER48
    Staff

I am the last one on the right!

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »

Wheat stalk of the old fashioned varieties of wheat are longer and are the only ones suitable for thatching the lack of which is what has prevented thatching projects at LAFE.

kchetwynd

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:18:03 PM »

I am probably just talking out of my hat here, but have you guys checked the type of wheat against the kind grown on the Canadian praire? They call that stuff "Hard, Winter Wheat" It might be a related species or something.

Regardless of that, it certainly sounds like an interesting project.
    M. Demetrius
    Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »

They grow hard winter wheat down here, too.  That's what the "Wheat Grass Afficionados" use.  Health food stores have it.  That's probably the strain I'll use.

Administrator
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    David Wills
    M. Demetrius
    Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:15:37 AM »

Keegan found this link with some good info about species of wheat.
     http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2010/03/food-archaeology-ancient-wheats.html

Administrator
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    David Wills
    JKALER48
    Staff

I am the last one on the right!

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »

A Roman Flat bread making video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfsaN3_b2g

Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: