November 01, 2014, 07:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: TACTICA! A Roman drill manual constructed from original sources and the best information available has been released.

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Login Register  

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 07:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

You can read the Forums without registering, but to post and read the Articles and Publications,
    you must register with our website. We do this to cut down on spammers and trolls. Please fill out your profile information so we know you are real person and not a machine or a spammer.
    Pages: [1]   Go Down
      Print  
    Author Topic: Inexpensive material for tunics cloaks socks etc ie Wool Blankets  (Read 1665 times)
    JKALER48
    Staff

I am the last one on the right!

« on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »

Grey and red blankets are  available form Harbor Freight Tools  online 7.99 - 9.00 Not 100% wool but decent price!'
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=wool+blanket&Submit=Go

M. Demetrius
    Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:30:47 AM »

I've used those for quite a while.  The online store seems to keep better stock than the local outlets.  The grey ones are much lighter weight, and the weave is loose, so it's a little harder to keep seams together, but I have both paenula and udones from the grey.  I haven't made a tunic from one, but you could do that, I guess as a work tunic, or if you're portraying a lower class citizen, maybe.  It's a little scratchy, since I think they use shorter fiber in them. 

BTW, I used a whole can of 3M Scotch Guard waterproofing on my paenula, and after being hung out on the line to de-fume, it was/is somewhat water repellent.  I put most of the spray on the hood and shoulders, down to the waist, thinking that by the time the water had dribbled that far, it would be moving fast enough to keep going down.  Probably unnecessary.  Certainly inauthentic.

The red ones make very good blankets, but they have a funny oily smell.  They seem to come out of the washing machine just fine, though.  A little brown or green dye takes the brightness off the scarlet.  They fade like crazy, so beware of that.

Administrator
    Saepe veritas est dura.
    David Wills
    Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
    Stats
    • Total Posts: 795
    • Total Topics: 217